Wire-tapped media case leads to suits

POLICE have concluded the case of surveillance of journalists in the era of ex-defence minister Ľubomír Galko from Freedom and Solidarity party (SaS) with a proposal to sue five Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) employees including its ex-head Pavol Brychta.

Ľubomír Galko on bilboard during 2012 election campaign. Ľubomír Galko on bilboard during 2012 election campaign. (Source: Sme )

POLICE have concluded the case of surveillance of journalists in the era of ex-defence minister Ľubomír Galko from Freedom and Solidarity party (SaS) with a proposal to sue five Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) employees including its ex-head Pavol Brychta.

“The prosecutor will decide on further steps after he scrutinises the documents,” said General Prosecutor Office’s spokesperson Andrea Predajňová, as quoted by the Pravda daily.

The scandal surfaced in 2011 when somebody published records from the wiretapping of phone conversations of Robert Kaliňák with a reporter of the Pravda daily, Vanda Vavrová. Later it turned out that the counterintelligence also monitored additional people including ex-director of TA3 news channel Michal Gučík. Altogether, the rights of 13 persons were violated.

Galko is a witness in the case. He insists he had nothing in common with the monitoring.

“My personal opinion is that the law was not violated,” Galko said, as quoted by the Sme daily.

Prosecutor Jozef Čentéš will deal with the case and decide whether VOS employees will be sued.

In 2011 the ensuing scandal resulted in Galko’s resignation from the defence minister post, where he was nominated by SaS. The party was then backing its minister, arguing that the wiretaps were performed legally and were intended to uncover criminal activity. The party also said that Galko’s sacking and other developments in the scandal were actually attacks on the party.

Galko’s successor Martin Glváč apologised to Gučík for the wiretapping but Gučík is continuing with a complaint he filed with the courts in which he is seeking financial compensation of €750,000, although he says he will not keep the money if the court decides in his favour, the SITA newswire reported on August 24, 2012.

“I said that it is not about the money; money is only the pretext for something to happen,” stated Gučík, as quoted by SITA.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Theme: Corruption & scandals


Top stories

Government announces a state mourning for the victims of the crash near Nitra

Flags will be raised at half-mast between 8:00 and 20:00.

A black flag was raised in front of the Government's Office.

UPDATED: Road accident near Nitra claims 12 lives

Pellegrini is considering a national mourning on Friday.

All the things that were left overdue

Last week brought a resignation and a half-hearted opposition deal.

Deputy Speaker Martin Glváč (left) and Smer chair Robert Fico (right) held a press conference on October 29, 2019

The alleged driver in the Kuciak murder case may confess his guilt in court

Tomáš Szabó could be the third of five accused to confess their guilt.

The police escorts Tomáš Szabó, the accused in the Kuciak case, to the Specialised Criminal Court in Banská Bystrica, central Slovakia, on September 30, 2018