Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Municipalities enrol for funds to liquidate illegal dumps

SLOVAKIA plans to allocate €10 million to a project for elimination of illegal dumps, while as many as 490 municipalities enrolled by the deadline of July 17 with the Envirofond organisation.

(Source: Sme)

“Among applicants are all regional capitals including Bratislava and its boroughs, several district capitals but also small villages from across Slovakia,” said Maroš Stano, spokesperson of the Environment Ministry as cited by the TASR newswire.    

It is estimated that €10 million to be allocated to applicants via the ‘Big Cleaning of Slovakia’ project will be enough for liquidation of approximately 2,000 dumps. Under the proposed scheme the state will settle 95 percent of costs and the municipality will cover the remaining 5 percent. A municipality can obtain an allocation of up to €100,000 while the money can be used for removal of waste, its transfer to legal dumps or liquidation in an incinerator.

Now Envirofond will go through the applications while initial decisions about allocations are expected to arrive in early September.

The opposition Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party criticises the scheme saying that it creates a large space for abuse of public funds for cleaning of waste.

Illegal dumps belong to one of the most pressing issues bothering people in Slovakia, according to the Environment Ministry. There are about 2,500 registered illegal dumps, while those not yet registered might number around 7,000.

The ministry is solving the issue of illegal dumps also in the new waste law, which will increase powers of the police and fines as of the beginning of 2016. For private individuals the fine will go up to €1,500 and for legal entities it may climb up to €350,000, the SITA newswire wrote.

Top stories

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.

Slovakia vies for medicines agency

What chances does the country have at winning the seat of the prestigious European Medicines Agency that needs to relocate from London?

Illustrative stock photo

Vote-buying scandal lands village mayor in court

Some Roma claiming the mayor of Gemerská Poloma, Miroslav Michalka was buying votes, have changed their testimonies.

Stanislav Kučerák (blue shirt) is a key witness in the vote-buying case.

British embassy opens condolence book

The book will be opened for two days.

Floral tributes are laid out in Manchester, England, on May 23, 2017, the day after the suicide attack at an Ariana Grande concert that left 22 people dead as it ended on May 22 night.