Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Investigation of Tupý’s murder suspended

THE INVESTIGATION of the murder of student Daniel Tupý from 10 years ago is still suspended, but the investigator is scrutinising the causes for the suspension, whether they are still true.

Commemorative ceremony for Daniel Tupý at the site of his murder, after 5 years. (Source: Sme)

“The investigation of the murder of Daniel Tupý is currently still suspended and the reasons for suspending it have not changed,” spokesman of the Police Presidium Michal Slivka told the TASR newswire. “Despite this, the investigator is still scrutinising whether they continue to be true, and tries constantly to get new knowledge and items of information concerning perpetrators so that we can continue prosecution.”

Last year, deputy head of the National Criminal Agency (NaKA) Martin Krčmárik said that police still have not given up the investigation of two murders - Daniel Tupý and famous lawyer Ernest Valk (who died five years ago). Tupý, then aged 21 and a student at the Philosophical Faculty of Comenius University, was stabbed to death on November 4, 2005, at Tyršovo Embankment in Bratislava.

On the 9th anniversary of the murder, Krčmárik added that they were trying to find new evidence to be prepared and utilised. In 2009, Richard H., accused in the murder, was freed, along with four young men accused of attempted bodily harm and public disturbance. All four of them were alleged to work for criminal gangs. Prosecutor of the Regional Prosecutor’s Office Bratislava first appealed the verdict, but later withdrew the appeal. In 2012, the prosecution was suspended.


Read also: Read also:Tupý murder case closed for now

Slovak laws rather protect perpetrators than their victims, Tupý’s father commented, as quoted by TASR. He accused former interior minister Vladimír Palko of inadequately influencing the investigation when he published in parliament all evidence available to police up to that point. Later, in court, all suspects were freed, due to lack of evidence, he summed up. 

Topic: Corruption & scandals

Top stories

She faced Russian tanks in 1968. Today, she protests again Photo

There are no tanks pointing at us today, says Mária Homolková, who joined protests in SNP Square once again in March 2018 to secure a better life for her grandchildren.

August 21st, 1968: The Warsaw Pact troops, led by the Soviet army, invaded Czechoslovakia .

Kiska appoints Pellegrini cabinet

The president approved the new government, despite some reservations. The new PM promises to investigate the murder of the journalist and his fiancée.

Peter Pellegrini's government

Organisers cancelled the Bratislava protest

But they are ready to monitor the steps of the new government closely and return to streets when necessary.

Andrej Kiska met with the representatives of the For a Decent Slovakia initiative.

There is still work to be done

2018 is not a re-run of 1989, but there is a connection.

Bratislava, March 16