Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Bratislava mayor hopes the Old Bridge will open soon

While finished in December, the re-constructed Old Bridge has not yet been opened.

The re-constructed Old Bridge is waiting for opening.(Source: TASR )

To date, inspection procedures related to the reconstruction of the Old Bridge over the Danube River have been carried out in record time, Bratislava Mayor Ivo Nesrovnal told TABLET.TV on April 21, adding that he believes the final inspection of the tram line on the bridge will also proceed quickly. The final inspections related to over 140 bridge-related objects started in late January.

“Experts warned me it might take even half a year,” he said, while he originally had promised to open the bridge for pedestrians in early January.

Read also: Read also:First trams cross Bratislava’s Old Bridge

Nesrovnal has praised the fact that all the parties involved in the final inspections have not taken a bureaucratic attitude, but rather with ‘the heart of Bratislava inhabitants’, which also helped to accelerate the process. He believes that nobody will appeal the final inspection results, adding that the objections raised previously have already been addressed within this process. Despite this, Nesrovnal remains cautious.

“You never know whether someone wants to damage Bratislava,” he said.

Read also: Read also:New Old Bridge nears opening

Concerning the final inspection of the tram line’s surface, which falls under the bailiwick of Bratislava Region (BSK), Nesrovnal also believes it, too, will be completed as soon as possible. Referring to the statement of BSK Governor Pavol Frešo predicting mid-June for completion of the final inspections, Nesrovnal said the City is “pressuring the process in order to see it completed as soon as possible”.

Topic: Bratislava


Top stories

Impressive archaeological site revealed under planned Bratislava ring road Photo

Archaelogists uncover the region's most extensive discovery of the past 80 years.

The discovery close to Podunajské Biskupice

Police deal with increasing number of bomb threats

By the end of May 2017, there were 44 cases of false alarms; for the whole of 2016, there were 54 such cases.

Košice courts were searched for bomb on November 30, with nothing found.

Strike at Volkswagen could prompt others Photo

The recent strike at the biggest carmaker in Slovakia may serve as a lesson for some, trade unionists in other companies agree.

Fico complains about unfair football rules Photo

But he has been silent about other scandals connected with football players.

l-r: Adam Zreľák, Robert Fico, Robert Kaliňák and Pavel Hapal