Slovak cyclist and current world champion Peter Sagan may not attend the world championships in Doha, Qatar to defend his last year’s title.
After placing third in the Eneco Tour 2016, he earned enough points to take the lead at the UCI WorldTour ranking again. He now has 669 points, which is 60 points more than second-place Nairo Quintana of Columbia and 105 more than third-place Christopher Froome of the United Kingdom.
Since he has experienced a tough season, he cannot say whether he will be able to start in Qatar, where the world competition begins on October 16. He explained that he is tired, the TASR newswire reported.
“I still have to think about it,” Sagan said, as quoted by the Cyclingnews.com website. “It’s been a long season. Here in Eneco and then I did one race more at the European championships. I have a lot of things to do. I’m happy the season is almost finished.”
Sagan has already taken part in many races, achieving great results. He won his fifth green jersey at the Tour de France, won the race Tour de Flanders and also the European championship.
British journalist Stuart Clarke from the Cycling Weekly website, however, thinks Sagan will eventually start.
“After he did not compete in road cycling at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, I am convinced the Slovak Cycling Association will be very interested in having its biggest star compete in Doha,” Clarke told the Sme daily.
27. Sep 2016 at 12:53 | Compiled by Spectator staff