Sagan wins in another poll

The successful Slovak cyclist outperforms his opponents.

Peter Sagan, center, of Slovakia, raises his hands as he celebrates his win at the UCI Pro Tour cycling Grand Prix in Quebec City in September 2016.Peter Sagan, center, of Slovakia, raises his hands as he celebrates his win at the UCI Pro Tour cycling Grand Prix in Quebec City in September 2016. (Source: AP/TASR)

Slovak cyclist Peter Sagan keeps defeating his opponents in polls carried out by various sport websites and organisations.

Most recently the two-time world champion in road cycling has become a clear leader in a poll of the readers of the specialised site Cyclingnews.com for the best male road rider of the year in 2016, the SITA newswire reported.

Sagan received 12,367 votes, or 73 percent of the total number of respondents. The winner of the Tour de France, Brit Christopher Froome, placed second with 1,428 votes (or 8 percent of respondents), while the Olympic champion from Rio de Janeiro, Belgian Greg van Avermaet, came third with 829 votes.

Read also:Sagan receives prestigious Vélo d’Or Read more 

Sagan also won the poll carried out by Cyclingnews.com last year, with a similar lead. Last year he was chosen by 50 percent of respondents, while the second best male rider, Spanish Alejandro Valverde received 12 percent of respondents.

The 2016 season was good for Sagan as he won the Tour de Flanders and received his fifth green jersey at the Tour de France where he won three stages. At the end of the season he also won the European championship and defended his world title. He finished by becoming the leader of the WorldTour list.

Sagan is currently a member of the Bora-Hansgrohe team, to which he came from the now-defunct Tinkoff, SITA wrote.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak