Runners from Slovakia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Russia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden took part in the 2016 New Year's Eve run across the bridges of Bratislava, whose route included the Prístavný Most bridge, the Apollo Bridge, the Old Bridge, the SNP Bridge and the Lafranconi Bridge.
A record number of 1,057 runners took part in this year’s run.
The winner of the men's 10.3 kilometre race was Marek Hladík with a time of 35 minutes and 32 seconds, while the fastest woman was Danielle Madaglistan from the UK with a time of 41 minutes and 42 seconds, the TASR newswire reported, citing the organisers of the run.
Bratislava wasn't the only city in Slovakia to host a New Year's Eve run. Similar events were organised also elsewhere around the country, such as in Senica, Dolné Orešany (both Trnava region), Prešov, Horovce (Trenčín region), Martin, Lietava (both Žilina region), Michalová (Banská Bystrica region) and Nitra.
Winners of the 2016 Bratislava New Year's Eve Run
1. Marek Hladík (www.autozeriavy.com) 35:32
2. Tom Cornthwaite (UK) 36:31
3. Peter Štilla (Trian UMB Banska Bystrica) 36:47
1. Danielle Madaglisan (UK) 41:42
2. Diana Tešovičová (Procycling) 42:46
3. Ľuboslava Dobócziová (BK HNTN Bratislava) 43:18
2. Jan 2017 at 11:10 | Compiled by Spectator staff