Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

UPDATED: 24. MAY 2017, AT 14:09

No Slovaks among the victims of Manchester attack so far

The representatives of Slovakia have expressed their sympathy to the families of the victims.

Police guard close to the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain, on May 23, 2017, a day after an explosion.(Source: AP/TASR)

Slovakia’s Foreign Affairs Ministry does not have any information about Slovaks being among the victims of the explosion at the concert of singer Ariana Grande in Manchester Arena in the UK.

The incident claimed at least 22 lives, while about 60 people were injured.

“No Slovak citizen has reported the loss of a close person to the Slovak Embassy in London,” Igor Skoček from the press department of the ministry said, as quoted by the TASR newswire.

The Slovak Embassy in London is in direct contact with the police in Manchester, but for now it does not have any more detailed information about the injured or the victims, the SITA newswire reported.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry meanwhile issued a recommendation for Slovaks to postpone their planned trips to Manchester.

Read also: Read also:President Kiska sends condolences to Putin for metro explosion in St. Petersburg

Politicians send their condolences

Slovakia stands with the UK and its allies in the fight against global terror and all forms of extremism, Slovak President Andrej Kiska wrote in a telegram of condolences sent to British Queen Elizabeth II.

“Your Majesty, the tragic news about the Manchester bombing, which resulted in the loss of innocent lives and injuries to many, has produced deep outrage and sadness in me,” Kiska wrote, as quoted by TASR. “This attack against young people and children was an immensely cowardly and shameful deed.”

Prime Minister Robert Fico meanwhile sent a telegram of condolence to his British counterpart Theresa May.

“Slovakia and its people stand by the British nation in this difficult moment,” Fico wrote, as quoted by TASR.

He stressed that the Slovak government condemns this “coward terrorist attack aimed against innocent people and denying all norms of humanity”.

Only a few hours before the explosion, Slovak Speaker of Parliament Andrej Danko was visiting Manchester with his family. He has expressed his sympathy with the families of the victims.

“I go through this awful act more intensively since only few hours before the explosion I was there with my sons,” Danko said, as quoted by TASR. “What has happened and keeps happening around us is absolutely incomprehensible and sad.”

Foreign Affairs Minister Miroslav Lajčák responded to the attack on his Twitter account.

“Unbelievable what happened in Manchester,” Lajčák wrote. “My heart aches for all those affected by the tragedy.”

The police in Manchester have already said it will investigate the explosion as a terrorist attack, unless they find evidence proving the opposite. It is the worst act of terrorist violence in the UK since the July 2005 attacks in London which claimed 52 lives, SITA reported.

Top stories

Emergency declared in Prešov after Sunday storm Video

A powerful storm swept through the city on July 23.

Strong storm hit prešov on July 23.

Slovak water slalom racers won seven medals

Young Slovak talents made the hearts of sports fans race with their performance at the World Championship in water slalom.

Marko Mirgorodský

The normalisation of our relations has grown

Most people want the EU to exist in the future – we just have to mobilise this majority and not take things for granted, says Austrian Ambassador to Slovakia Helfried Carl in an interview with The Slovak Spectator.

Austrian Ambassador Helfried Carl

Fico for better fish fingers

It’s true that in the past four months, Mr Fico has been comparatively less busy than his Visegrad Group partners.

Austrian fish fingers angered PM Fico.