Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Minister Érsek is proposing recreational vouchers

Ideas to boost tourism in the country include vouchers distributed by employers.

Holiday in Slovakia cen be ncie, too.(Source: Sme - Ján Krošlák)

The Transport Ministry has prepared a set of measures to promote tourism in Slovakia, the Pravda daily wrote on July 13. These ideas include improved marketing support for Slovakia and changes in taxes.

The department also wants to negotiate a plan to introduce holiday vouchers. Under favourable terms, employers could give their employees a holiday voucher of up to €500 per holiday spent in Slovakia.

It is questionable, though, whether the Transport Minister Árpád Érsek (of coalition partner Most – Híd) will earn enough support in the coalition.

“For the holiday vouchers proposed by the Transport Ministry, the system will enable employers to cover up to 55 percent of the cost of their employees’ holiday,” ministry spokesperson Karolína Ducká explained for the daily. The employee would pay the remaining 45 percent from their own pockets, with a total maximum value of the voucher at €500. The money used for purchasing the Slovak holiday shall not be subject to any taxes or levies.

Benefit system should be voluntary

“Based on experience from abroad, the ministry supposes the revenues from consumption connected with the vouchers to become two- to three-fold compared to the total sum invested in the vouchers, and thus, the system could generate additional benefits,” Ducká said. Currently, 67 percent of Slovaks spend their holidays abroad. Countries like Hungary, Italy and France have similar programmes.

The Association of Employers’ Unions and Associations welcomes the support for domestic tourism but points out that the vouchers should be voluntary, rather than obligatory. This has not yet been discussed with the ministry.

Other measures supporting domestic tourism proposed by the Transport Ministry include a contribution for spas, Pravda wrote.


The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Youngest Slovak village is a "communist dream come true” Photo

Dedina Mládeže (The Youth Village) was a mere experiment during the communist era. Now, the still inhabited village has morphed into an open-air museum.

Dedina Mládeže

Revitalised industrial building offers work, entertainment and housing

Mlynica is an excellent example of successful conversion of unused industrial building.

Mlynica

What are the reasons behind low wages in Slovakia?

The average wage costs per Slovak employee accounts for only 44 percent of the EU average.

How to keep politics and sports separate

FIFA, may not be a government, but they and the events they put on are undeniably political and embody all the worst things about globalisation.

Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, FIFA President Gianni Infantino and Russian President Vladimir Putin (left to right) stand for the anthem prior to the match between Russia and Saudi Arabia which opened the 2018 soccer World Cup in Russia.