Ex-minister and TV owner Rusko released from custody

The former politician/TV manager accused of ordering the murder of his business partner received an electronic location bracelet.

Pavol Rusko (C) released from pre-trial custody. Pavol Rusko (C) released from pre-trial custody. (Source: Sme - Gabriel Kuchta)

Former economy minister and former CEO of the private TV channel Markíza, Pavol Rusko, who is being investigated for ordering the murder of his former business associate Sylvia Volzová, was released from custody at the ruling of the Bratislava Regional Court on November 21.

By doing so, the regional court annulled a previous decision made by a district court, which last month placed Rusko in custody due to concerns that he could attempt to influence witnesses, the Sme daily wrote. He has to announce to the authorities his whereabouts and submit his passport within 24 hours of his release. He will be supervised by electronic locators, regional court spokesperson Pavol Adamčiak said.

Read also:Former owner of TV station allegedly ordered murder of his business partner Read more 

Rusko was detained after former Banská Bystrica gang boss Mikuláš Černák, who is currently serving a life sentence, testified that the former had ordered Volzová’s murder. Rusko dismissed all of Černák’s accusations as a lie and fabrication.

“I have not done anything like that,” he said, as quoted by Sme. “Nothing of that kind has happened, and I believe that this investigation will not only answer the question that not only I have nothing to do with, now becoming even clearer, but especially who came up with this whole case.”

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Two years after the murders: We should never forget Ján and Martina

Slovakia commemorated the murders of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová. The organisers called on people to attend elections.

Freedom Square in Bratislava on February 21, 2020.

Two years since the murder: How the Kuciak case changed Slovakia

The far-reaching consequences of the murder: What happened in Slovakia between February 2018 and now.

Illustrative stock photo

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová remembered by diplomatic community

The investigative journalist and his fiancée were murdered two years ago, on February 21.

The diplomatic community lights candles in memory of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová near the Visitation of Virgin Mary Church on SNP Square.

They tried to exploit Sagan’s name in a scam. Lies, he responds

The scam promised the quick earning of money and without risk.

Peter Sagan rejoices after his victory at TdF, July 8