V4 countries agreed on aid for Libya

Slovak PM Robert Fico reiterated that refugee quotas are nonsensical and aren’t working

(Source: AP/TASR)

After a meeting between the Visegrad Four (V4) prime ministers and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni in Brussels last week, Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico confirmed that the V4 member countries (the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia) will participate with equal amounts in financial assistance for Libya worth €35 million.

“In order to show solidarity, I decided not to argue and use some criteria related to the size of the country, the population or GDP,” said Fico as cited by the TASR newswire.

Fico added that the Italian side welcomed the V4’s joint project with Italy in Libya with pleasure. At the same time, this initiative will save millions of euros for the European Commission.

“We had the opportunity to speak to Gentiloni and Juncker about a project that is unique, namely the participation of the V4 countries in resolving the migration problem in Libya because we’re saying that refugee quotas are nonsensical and aren’t working,” said Fico, adding that Slovakia has always spoken about the need to protect the EU’s external borders and work directly in the countries of origin and transit of migrants, as is the case with this project.

Slovakia will manage to provide almost €9 million, especially when it comes to “efficiently spent money” because the country will be able to supervise it along with Italy, said Fico. He reminded that this is not a general contribution to the Fund for Africa, to which Slovakia has already contributed - initially with €600,000 and later with another €1 million.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Theme: Líbya

Read more articles by the topic

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak