Fico: I did not speak with Vadala on the phone

A legal team has been created to monitor the behaviour of journalists, Fico also said during his press conference.

Smer head Robert Fico.Smer head Robert Fico.(Source: Sme)

“Slovak media represent the biggest threat to democracy,” said Smer chair Robert Fico during his March 20 press conference, as quoted by the TASR newswire.

It was his first meeting with journalists in the past three weeks.

He reiterated that he did not talk to the Italian businessman and alleged mafia boss Antonino Vadala in 2012, as has been reported by the Italian daily La Repubblica in February. Vadala is heavily featured in the last story written by murdered journalist Ján Kuciak.

Fico presented to journalists a letter from Juraj Novocký, a prosecutor of the Special Prosecutor's Office, to prove his claim. However, he did not show them the original communication between the Slovak authorities and Italian prosecutors, as reported by the Sme daily.

Read also:Investigative centre: Fico spoke on the phone with Vadala years ago Read more 

In addition, Fico completely avoided commenting on the presidential elections and the government's proposals, including the rejection of US financial assistance, expected to be invested in the modernisation of military airports, TASR wrote.

The prosecutor's letter

Fico requested prosecutor Novocký provide him with a record of his business trip to the Italian region of Calabria, as reported by TASR.

“Regarding the existence of direct telephone conversations between Antonino Vadala and former PM Robert Fico, we can say that there is no record of a call from 2012 in the case file concerning Antonino Vadala,” Novotný wrote to Fico in the letter, as quoted by TASR.

Thus, Italy did not tap Vadala's phone and as a result, Italian investigators do not possess any recorded conversations between Fico and him, Novocký added in the letter.

Attack on the media

Read also:Italian journalist: Slovak police have been investigating Vadala since 2013 Read more 

After Fico showed the letter to media, he continued to attack them. A legal team, which will monitor the behaviour of journalists and eventually file criminal complaints against them, has been set up, Fico claimed. Fico also demanded an apology from journalists, as reported by TASR.

“You break the law,” Fico claimed, as quoted by TASR. “Nothing gives you the right to write anything about the contacts of Smer officials with such people [Italian mafia].”

Fico will not move out

The Smer chair briefly commented on his potential relocation from a flat in the Bonaparte residence complex. It was owned by businessman Ladislav Bašternák, who was sentenced to imprisonment and lost part of his property last week.

“You always wanted me to have a different owner,” Fico said. “Today, the state is the owner of the flat I live in.”

Fico is now waiting for the “new owner” to come and talk to him, according to his own words.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Theme: Vražda novinára Jána Kuciaka

Read more articles by the topic
This article is also related to other trending topics:
Ján Kuciak

Top stories

The campaign goes to parliament after the last polls

SNS and Smer are ready to spend a lot of money to save their numbers ahead of the election.

Peter Pellegrini's cabinet sent costly measures to parliament just days before election.

Race walker Tóth named among decade’s Top 10 athletes

The ranking is published by the US magazine Track and Field News.

Matej Tóth winning Olympic gold.

Čaputová in Munich: Leaders have a special responsibility to resist populism

The rule of law requires strong institutions and active citizens but also political leaders who abide by it.

President Zuzana Čaputová at the Munich Security Conference