Italian culture will take over Bratislava in June for the 12th time with the Dolce Vitaj Festival returning to its streets.
“We will celebrate the 500th anniversary of the death of Leonardo da Vinci this year,” said Italian Ambassador to Slovakia Gabriele Meucci, as quoted in a press release.
The Renaissance will be one of the main themes of the Dolce Vitaj Festival in 2019, bringing the stories of Renaissance and Baroque Italian artists, including da Vinci, to a Slovak audience.
In addition, several theatre and musical performances, meetings with Italian artists, exhibitions and an Italian cuisine market are planned for different locations around Bratislava.
“The festival will also travel to Poprad, Žilina and other Slovak towns in 2019,” Meucci added.
Dolce Vitaj is prepared every year by the Italian Institute of Culture as well as the Italian Embassy, both in Bratislava, in order to bring the best of the Italian culture to Slovakia.
Events in Bratislava
- Days of Architecture and Design (May 31 at 21:00, Faculty of Architecture of the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava)
A meeting with SaloneSatellite founder and mentor of young designers, Marva Griffin
- Bratislava Design Week 2019 (June 6-9)
The Zaven Studio from Venice and curator Maria Cristina Didero, who filmed Super Design, the Italian Radical Design 196575 documentary, will be guests at this year's international design festival
- Towards Beauty – The Italian Land in Photography (June 5 – September 15, Slovak National Museum)
An exhibition mapping the changes of Italy at the turn of the 20th century through the cameras of 35 photographers
- CINEVITAJ (June 6-27, Cinema Lumière)
A small documentary film festival portraying the lives of Italian artists (Michelangelo, Raffaello, Botticelli, Caravaggio and Tintoretto)
- Avion Travel (June 7 at 19:30, Slovak Radio Building)
A concert by the Italian jazz-pop group that will officially open Dolce Vitaj; free admission
- Meeting with author Paolo Giordano (June 11 at 18:00, Martinus bookshop on Obchodná St)
A discussion about his latest bestseller Devouring the Sky
- Theatre festival Eurokontext.sk (June 12 at 19:00, Slovak National Theatre)
The theatre group Fortebraccio of Bologne will perform their punk version of the Song of Songs poem
- Elena Monzo (June 17 – July 7, CT Gallery)
An exhibition of the young Italian artist, titled HEROINE, drawing attention to the social status of women in different ethnic groups
- Italian Market (June 17 – June 26, Hviezdoslavovo Square)
A food market full of Italian cuisine
- Massimo Polidoro (June 18 at 10:00, Cinema Lumière)
Italian journalist, writer and science lover will present his performed lecture Me, Leonardo – the Secret life of the Rebellious Genius (only in Italian). A presentation of the eponymous book takes place on the same day at 18:00 in the Martinus bookshop on Obchodna Street)
- Aniello Desiderio & Carlo Curatolo (June 19 at 19:00 at the Primate's Palace)
A concert by two guitar players. Another concert by Carlo Curatolo takes place on June 20 at 19:00 at the Klariska concert hall.
- Luca D'Alberto Trio (June 28, Slovak Radio Building)
The final Dolce Vitaj concert, free admission
29. May 2019 at 13:55 | Compiled by Spectator staff