After five years, there is a change at the Presidential Palace. Zuzana Čaputová was officially appointed president on June 15, replacing Andrej Kiska.
The programme for the inauguration was prepared by several state institutions.
What the programme looked like
11:25 Presidential Palace
- The departure of President Andrej Kiska
- Parade of the Guard of Honour
11:45-12:30 Slovak Philharmonic
- The ceremonial parliamentary session will start with Čaputová taking an oath. It will be attended by MPs, cabinet members, Slovak MEPs, ambassadors and other guests. After taking the oath, the president will give her inauguration speech, presenting her plans for the future.
12:40-12:47 Hviezdoslavovo Square
- Parade of the Slovak Armed Forces in front of the historical Slovak National Museum building.(Source: TASR)
13:30-14:20 St Martin’s Cathedral
- The president and her family will move through Panská Street, where she will greet people and then attend the Te Deum Mass, held by Bratislava Archbishop Stanislav Zvolenský.(Source: SITA)
14:30 Presidential Palace
- The symbolical takeover of office from Andrej Kiska, followed by a parade of the Guard of Honour.(Source: SITA)
15:00-16:30 Presidential Palace
- Ceremonial lunch with seniors from the whole of Slovakia, with the aim of highlighting the topic of care for the elderly.(Source: SITA)
- Laying wreaths at the Gate of Freedom Memorial.(Source: TASR)
17:30 Ondrejský Cemetery
- Laying flowers on the grave of the first Slovak president Michal Kováč.(Source: Sme - Marko Erd)
20:00 Slovak Philharmonic
- Ceremonial reception
Traffic restrictions in place
The inauguration’s programme will also impact the traffic in Bratislava, the Interior Ministry informed.
The restrictions will particularly affect Jesenského and Mostová Street, and Ľ. Štúra Square. Access to the garages in the Carlton Hotel will only be possible from Jesenského Street. Moreover, the streets will be completely closed, including to public transport, at 11:15-11:45 and 12:30-13:00.
Panská Street will be closed from 8:00 to 14:00, including residents.
Staromestská Street will be closed from 12:30 to 15:00. The exit from SNP Bridge will be possible in the direction to Vajanského Embankment, and access to the bridge will be possible only from the embankment to Petržalka.
The traffic will be supervised by traffic police.
14. Jun 2019 at 0:00 | Compiled by Spectator staff