The environment minister and the speaker of parliament clash over national park zoning

The plan is to increase the non-interference zone to 50 percent.

Muránska Planina National ParkMuránska Planina National Park (Source: James Thomson)

The recent announcement by Speaker of Parliament Boris Kollár (Sme Rodina) concerning the halt to the zoning of the Muránska Planina National Park in central Slovakia has raised some opposition.

While Environment Minister Ján Budaj (OĽaNO) has referred to the government’s programme statement, environmental activists are questioning the argument used by Kollár which echoes the fear expressed by the municipalities that it would lead to job losses.

Related articleSlovakia urged to think green after pandemic Read more 

The fear of job losses voiced

Kollár was responding to a plan produced by the Environment Ministry and the Agriculture Ministry to increase the size of the non-interference zone from the current 13 percent to 50 percent. This means that the area where forestry interference, hunting or construction is not permitted will increase four times.

As much as 93 percent of the zone would be situated on land administered by the Lesy SR state-run forestry company. The remaining 7 percent is in the hands of non-state owners with whom the state wants to discuss the plan.

The rest of this article is premium content at Spectator.sk
Subscribe now for full access

I already have subscription - Sign in

Subscription provides you with:
  • Immediate access to all locked articles (premium content) on Spectator.sk
  • Special weekly news summary + an audio recording with a weekly news summary to listen to at your convenience (received on a weekly basis directly to your e-mail)
  • PDF version of the latest issue of our newspaper, The Slovak Spectator, emailed directly to you
  • Access to all premium content on Sme.sk and Korzar.sk

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Former state secretary describes the corruption at courts

Schools will definitely not open on Monday. Coronavirus vaccine could be available starting in mid-December. Slovakia joins campaign to fight violence against women.

The Presidential Palace lit in orange, to support the Orange the world! campaign.

Pass a Slovak language dictation so you can work with foreigners

The draft migration policy proposal is out. Where does a foreigner find the official, certified list of cultural realities and traditions they are supposed to respect?

Some problems with the Foreigners’ Police continue.

One in five women has experienced violence

The situation is far from satisfactory, said President Čaputová.

Secret votes and public lies

There are uncanny echoes today of Slovakia’s agonies over its choice of chief prosecutor ten years ago.

Dobroslav Trnka (left) and Jozef Čentéš (right), the candidate who was eventually selected by MPs in 2011, never got to take up the post because the then president, Ivan Gašparovič refused to appoint him for reasons that were never clearly explained.