Our paywall policy: The Slovak Spectator has decided to make all the articles on the special measures, statistics and basic information about the coronavirus available to everyone. If you appreciate our work and would like to support good journalism, please buy our subscription. We believe this is an issue where accurate and fact-based information is important for people to cope.
The coronavirus situation in Slovakia is much worse than it was last week, Health Minister Marek Krajčí (OĽaNO) said after the September 11 session of the pandemic commission.
The number of red regions has increased in the past seven days. The red regions now include the entire city of Bratislava, Nitra, Tvrdošín, Stará Ľubovňa, and Michalovce. Several districts have been added to the orange list.
The commission will therefore propose several new measures and limitations, including the closure of the border with Ukraine and adding the Czech Republic to the risky countries.
- The commission recommends that no one should travel.
- Seniors are recommended to get vaccinated against the flu and pneumococcal infections.
- In red and orange districts, the commission recommends a ban on visits to social care facilities and people should not organise family events.
Measures proposed from September 16, 2020:
- Ban on mass events in restaurants and accommodation facilities - with the exception of weddings and funeral gatherings.
- Stricter conditions for sports camps.
- The obligation to wear masks at schools should be extended until the end of September.
Measures proposed from October 1, 2020:
Weddings in Slovakia to be limited to 30 people.
- Outside events: up to 200 people
- Inside events: up to 100 people
Orange and red regions:
- Outside events: up to 100 people
- Inside events: up to 50 people
Proposed travel limits
Travel should be limited too. The minister explicitly called on people not to travel.
The Health Ministry announced new risky regions:
- Austria: Vienna, Tirol, Vorarlberg
- Czech Republic: Prague, Stredočeský region, Jihočeský region, Jihomoravský region, Karlovarský region, Vysočina region, Královéhradecky region, Liberecký region, Pardubický region, Plzenský region
- Hungary: Budapest, Fejér, Hajdú-Bihár, Pest
- Poland: Lesser Poland region
The pandemic commission will propose the closure of borders with Ukraine on Monday based on the meeting of the crisis staff.
The commission considers the Czech republic as a risky country. Austria and Hungary are considered to be countries with unfavourable development of the disease.
It will be recommended that The Czech Republic be added to the list of red countries, meaning people coming to Slovakia from there will need to go into compulsory quarantine and take a COVID test not earlier than five days after arrival to Slovakia.
Read more about the coronavirus outbreak in Slovakia:
- These are the measures currently in place in Slovakia
- How Slovakia prepared for the coronavirus
- Do I have the coronavirus? How to proceed if you have a suspicion
- More information about what the coronavirus is and how to protect yourself from the infection (WHO)
- Situation update on EU/EEA and the UK as of March 6 morning
- Q&A: State of emergency declared about coronavirus+
11. Sep 2020 at 17:42 | Compiled by Spectator staff