Our paywall policy:
The Slovak Spectator has decided to make all the articles on the special measures, statistics and basic information about the coronavirus available to everyone. If you appreciate our work and would like to support good journalism, please buy our subscription. We believe this is an issue where accurate and fact-based information is important for people to cope.
Slovakia is still in the black tier when looking at the national level of the Covid-19 automat alert system.
In regional terms, 20 of Slovakia's districts are still marked as black-tier districts, the highest-level alert, while 53 districts are dark red. This is the classification that will apply as of Monday, March 1. In the dark red districts, a negative test result is necessary every seven days when going to work.
Six districts are in the red tier, where a negative test no older than 14 days is required. Last week, 10 districts were marked as red.
In Slovakia, the situation with the number of new cases and hospitalised patients has deteriorated again.
The seven-day rolling average is 5,089 new cases a day. 4,017 people have been hospitalised with Covid-19 in the hospitals.
Health Minister Marek Krajčí sees no room for lifting measures. Such a step would cause a faster deterioration of the pandemic situation in the country, he said.
Tiers of districts from March 1
Districts at Warning Level 4 (black)
• Bánovce nad Bebravou • Detva • Dunajská Streda • Galanta • Hlohovec • Ilava • Martin • Nové Mesto nad Váhom • Partizánske • Piešťany • Považská Bystrica • Revúca • Rožňava • Šaľa • Trenčín • Trnava • Turčianske Teplice • Žarnovica • Žiar nad Hronom • Zvolen
Districts at Warning Level 3 (dark red)
• Banská Bystrica • Banská Štiavnica • Bardejov • Bratislava I - V • Brezno • Bytča • Čadca • Dolný Kubín • Gelnica • Humenné • Komárno • Košice I - IV • Košice - okolie • Krupina • Kysucké Nové Mesto • Levice • Levoča • Liptovský Mikuláš • Lučenec • Malacky • Medzilaborce • Michalovce • Myjava • Nitra • Nové Zámky • Pezinok • Poltár • Poprad • Prešov • Prievidza • Púchov • Rimavská Sobota • Ružomberok • Sabinov • Senec • Senica • Skalica • Snina • Sobrance • Spišská Nová Ves • Topoľčany • Trebišov • Veľký Krtíš • Vranov nad Topľou • Žilina • Zlaté Moravce
Districts at Warning Level 2 (red)
• Kežmarok • Námestovo • Stará Ľubovňa • Stropkov • Svidník • Tvrdošín
Infectologist Pavol Jarčuška sees a quite balanced trend with the statistics of Covid-19 deaths, suggesting they are even decreasing a little.
On the other hand, he said, in the last week Slovakia recorded 608 deaths from Covid-19 and 77 deaths with Covid-19.
“What is alarming is one patient with Covid-19 dies in our hospital on average every three hours,” said the head of the clinic of infectology and travel medicine of Košice-based University Hospital of Louis Pasteur, as quoted by the TASR newswire.
What rules will apply in the tiers:
Schools (kindergartens, grades one to four of primary schools, final grades of secondary schools)
- Black tier: closed
- Dark red tier: based on the recommendation of Regional Public Health Authority (RÚVZ)
- Red tier: Open
Test validity for work (depends on the district where one works)
- Black and dark red tiers: 7 days
- Red tier: 14 days
Travelling out to nature
- Black tier: only within the district, forbidden to travel in or out of the district
- Dark red and red tiers: travelling between districts allowed with a test no older than 7 days
Read more about coronavirus in Slovakia:
- Measures valid in Slovakia as of February 8 and updates on the requirement of a negative test result
- Statistics of the positive coronavirus cases
- Tightened border regime: State orders self-isolation and testing for all incomers as of February 17
- Do I have the new coronavirus? How to proceed if you have a suspicion
- I encountered a person who is COVID-19 positive. What do I do next? (FAQ)
- When will I get my COVID vaccine? FAQs about vaccination in Slovakia
24. Feb 2021 at 11:21 | Compiled by Spectator staff