A FAMILY from Čadca who celebrated the arrival of 2011 at their vacation cottage in Olešná-Potôčky in Kysuce may recall the just past New Year’s Eve with less than fond memories. During their celebration, they placed an array of pyrotechnics about ten metres away from the cottage. But soon after the first rockets were lighted, the launch platform toppled over and instead of firing the rockets high into the sky, the rockets flew straight at the cottage attic.
One rocket shot inside through a small open window and immediately started a fire. The cottage was made of wood and had been bought ten years ago by the family, who had insulated it and used it as a weekend house.
The fire brigade was called at 25 minutes after midnight but encountered problems. “There was a lot of smoke and due to the low temperatures black ice was created and access was difficult,” František Prívara, from the Čadca District Office of the Fire and Rescue Corps, told the SITA newswire. Firefighters from Čadca and Turzovka fought the blaze using three units.
Further trouble was caused by three gas containers that were stored in the house. Firefighters managed to get two of them out, but the third remained inside. Prívara said they used one nozzle to cool down the gas containers and the remaining two to extinguish the fire. They failed to save the cottage but at least managed to prevent a nearby farm building from being devastated. Total damage has been assessed at €50,000 but property worth €100,000 was saved.
17. Jan 2011 at 0:00 | Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská