The Žilina Region is a fascinating place for tourists and any visit to the area will be enhanced by our Žilina travel guide. One attraction not to be missed is Castle Lietava, one of the largest ruins in Slovakia. The beginnings of the castle are connected with the end of the 13th century.
Find out more about the folklore, national parks and modern attractions of the region in our Žilina Region Travel Guide.
The castle foundations are made up of a cylindrical tower which today is preserved up to a height of 14 metres. To the east of the tower lies a palace and a chapel.
The last important landlord living in Lietava at the beginning of the 17th century was the Hungarian Palatine George Thurzo.
The starting point is either from the parking lot in Lietava Majer or from Lietavská Svinná. It takes 35 or 40 minutes to get to the castle.Read more
Spectacular Slovakia travel guides
- A helping hand in the heart of Europe thanks to the Slovakia travel guide with more than 1,000 photos and hundred of tourist spots.
- Detailed travel guide to the Tatras introduces you to the whole region around the Tatra mountains, including attractions on the Polish side.
- Lost in Bratislava? Impossible with our City Guide!
- See some selected travel articles, podcasts, traveller's needs as well as other guides dedicated to Nitra, Trenčín Region, Trnava Region and Žilina Region.
1. Oct 2020 at 18:10 | Compiled by Spectator staff