Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

HISTORY TALKS...

Štúrovo

THIS POSTCARD from 1915 shows two towns: Štúrovo, which lies along the border with Hungary; and, in the background, a cathedral in the Hungarian town of Esztergom.

Click to enlarge.

THIS POSTCARD from 1915 shows two towns: Štúrovo, which lies along the border with Hungary; and, in the background, a cathedral in the Hungarian town of Esztergom. Between the church in the foreground and the cathedral is the Danube, though it is out of view. At the time the photo was taken, Štúrovo was a poor "field town", which was an old term for small towns isolated in the countryside. It is likely that the postcard's sender, a Czech soldier on his way to the bloody battlefields of World War One, saw the town this way.

Štúrovo suffered greatly during Ottoman raids because of its location directly on the border of the Empire. At that time, Štúrovo was called Parkan. After Ottomans completely destroyed it, along with a nearby castle, in 1543, the town was rebuilt close to a fortification that protected the bridge over the Danube to Esztergom. This is how the towns came to be located so close to each other.


Prepared by Branislav Chovan

Top stories

In praise of concrete

It was once notorious for its drab tower blocks and urban crime, but Petržalka now epitomises modern Slovakia.

Petržalka is the epitome of communist-era architecture.

Slow down, fashion

Most people are unaware that buying too many clothes too harms the environment.

In shallow waters, experts are expendable

Mihál says that it is Sulík, the man whom his political opponents mocked for having a calculator for a brain, who “is pulling the party out of liberal waters and towards somewhere completely different”.

Richard Sulík is a man of slang.

Blog: Exploring 20th century military sites in Bratislava

It seems to be the fate of military sites and objects in Bratislava that none of them were ever used for the purposes they were built for - cavernas from WWI, bunkers from WWII, nuclear shelters or the anti-aircraft…

One nuclear shelter with a capacity for several hundred people now serves as a music club with suitable name Subclub (formerly U-club).