A memorial plaque was unveiled in Vienna in late June to mark the 140th anniversary of the birth of prominent Slovak architect Dušan Jurkovič (1868-1947), it was reported on July 9.
The plaque was placed in the hall of the State Arts and Crafts College on Schellinggasse, where Jurkovič studied civil engineering under professor Rudolf Feldscharek between 1884-89. At the same time, an exhibition of Jurkovič's works was opened at the Slovak Institute in Vienna. These include the project for his most famous work - M.R. Štefánik's tomb at Bradlo. [Štefánik was an important Slovak scientist, diplomat and politician of the beginning of the 20th century. - ed. note].
The exhibition on Wipplingerstrasse also includes works entered for last year's Dušan Jurkovič Prize. It will remain open until September 8. Admission is free. TASR
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
10. Jul 2008 at 7:00