Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Sme: Suchodolinský will be heard

The investigator of the National Criminal Agency reportedly wants to hear the testimony of Vladimír Suchodolinský, the purported author of a report on alleged embezzlement at the Military Defence Intelligence (VSS) during the period of the first Fico government (2006-2010). Suchodolinský confirmed to the Sme daily that he had spoken by phone to the investigator.

The investigator of the National Criminal Agency reportedly wants to hear the testimony of Vladimír Suchodolinský, the purported author of a report on alleged embezzlement at the Military Defence Intelligence (VSS) during the period of the first Fico government (2006-2010). Suchodolinský confirmed to the Sme daily that he had spoken by phone to the investigator.

Suchodolinský added that he has asked the investigator to send an official request to attend a police interview. He does not know, however, whether he will be talking about the alleged embezzlement or about the leak of the information. Suchodolinský also said he does not know the date when the interview will take place, Sme wrote.

On May 16 Sme published the first story about suspicions of embezzlement, citing an anonymous 134-page file that was apparently leaked from the military intelligence agencies. The file reportedly contains information about alleged fraud related to 15 expensive residential properties in Bratislava as well as cars that reportedly ended up in the personal ownership of VSS officers and their relatives. Both of the previous directors of the two military intelligence agencies – Juraj Šebo of the VSS and Ľubomír Skuhra of the Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) – allegedly knew about these transactions, Sme wrote. The military intelligence services were restructured and merged in January 2013 and the successor agency, Military Intelligence (VS), is now led by Skuhra.

So far, charges have been laid against two people: former head of the VSS Roman Mikulec, who led it during the Radičová government, and his close associate, former VSS officer Katarína Svrčeková.

The daily has meanwhile approached the Defence Ministry, asking whether it provided investigators with documents about the alleged embezzlement. In June Defence Minister Martin Glváč said that the documents were still being held by the ministry.

Spokesperson for the ministry Martina Balleková responded that the ministry has been cooperating with the responsible authorities since the very beginning, adding that Glváč has already accepted the proposal of the Office of the Special Prosecutor and released some people involved in the case from their oath of secrecy, Sme wrote.

Source: Sme

To read more about this story please see: Military intelligence keeps spelling trouble

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Slovak healthcare needs thousands of medical workers

Slovak doctors, nurses and midwives are not hesitating in finding better work conditions abroad.

Illustrative Stock Photo

Fight with traffickers thwarted online sale of hockey tickets

The algorithm not only prevented traffickers but also ordinary fans from buying tickets.

Waiting for tickets in Košice

Spectacular Slovakia #3: Unexpected hiking (Enjoy Bratislava's greenery) Audio

In Slovakia, you can hike in the capital city. Listen to the latest episode of our travel podcast to find out more.

Institutions can be quickly destroyed, but they are hard to build

Head of the To Dá Rozum intiative, Renáta Hall, talks about the impacts of a dispute between the academy of sciences and the Education Ministry.

Renáta Hall