SINCE THE very beginnings of tourism and hiking in the Tatra Mountains, Hrebienok was one of the most attractive sites. This vast plane lies adjacent to the alpine terrain, and was accessible from the neighbouring spa village, Starý Smokovec.
In 1908, interested parties could reach Hrebienok with a cable car, and only a little later, good quality roads for cars began to appear. However, a relatively good dirt road for cars had already existed for years, as one can see from the photograph. This postcard dates to 1904 and depicts two well-off gentlemen riding on horseback. Thanks to the text on the reverse side, we know that their names were Štěpán Sommer and Karol Hradecký, and that they were coming down from the Obrovský (Giant) Waterfall to Smokovec on August 17.
Hikers were attracted to Hrebienok because it served as the starting point for trails leading in several directions: to Slavkovský Štít, the Veľká and Malá Studená Dolina valleys, as well as to the valley of Studený Potok. Those who were reluctant to set food in the wild could enjoy the nearby Studený Potok spa.
18. Nov 2013 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan