In October 2013, an alleged incident inside the Mariatchi bar was followed by a brawl outside. Witnesses claim three skinheads entered the Mariatchi bar in Nitra on the pretex of buying cigarettes, before provoking the bar’s customers and starting a fight. When pushed outside, the skinheads were said to have called for backup.
The daily Sme spurred an investigation into the case when it published images taken outside the bar, which show the youths kicking one victim in the head repeatedly, on January 28, 2014. The incident was reportedly just one in a series of similar attacks. The victims of the attack were patrons standing in front of the Mariatchi bar in downtown Nitra, a popular student hangout.
In January 2014 the Sme daily noted that the police had not charged anyone three months after the attack.
“I’m also surprised that nothing is going on,” Mariatchi bar owner Radovan Richtárik told Sme on July 14, the same day the court set a trial date.
The main evidence is a published security camera tape, which shows the attack in detail. Following exposure in the media the police and Prosecutor’s Office began to take action. In October 2014 the General Prosecutor Office charged five alleged attackers.
Nitra District Court spokesman Mário Pivarči told Sme in early July that no date for a trial had been set as yet but that one would be chosen soon.
Six men named as Dušan V., Peter S., Boris H., Martin B., Michal P and professional soldier Tomáš S are charged.
14. Jul 2015 at 22:22 | Compiled by Spectator staff