Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

General Prosecutor: No progress in murder investigation

Top prosecutor says an international team will be put together to investigate the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

General Prosecutor Jaromír Čižnár(Source: TASR)

General Prosecutor Jaromir Čižnár stressed the prosecution and the police need to be cautious when publishing information about the murder investigation.

At the same time, he is not satisfied with the current state of the investigation of the murder of Ján Kuciak and his fiancee Martina Kušnírová, who were found murdered on February 25 in their house in the western-Slovak village of Velka Maca. From the very start, the police and the general prosecutor have been saying that Kuciak was murdered in connection with his investigative work.

Read also: Read also:Murder investigation: What we know so far and what are the main independence concerns

During the press briefing Čižnár held together with Special Prosecutor Dusan Kováčik and Prosecutor Peter Sufliarsky, the prosecutors said it might not even be the case that the motive for the murder was Kuciak’s work.

There are several versions, Kováčik said, but declined to give any details.

Working with the Italians

The prosecutors say they are putting together an international team with their Italian counterparts. The team should start working next week.

“We have already agreed on the basic questions, and the Italians have a great spectrum of information, there is a huge volume of data to evaluate,” Čižnár said.

Čižnár also informed the press that he spoke to the head of the intelligence service SIS and requested all the information they have on the alleged criminal activities related to Vadala. He also wants to check on how the police handled the information from SIS in the past, Sme daily reported.

Špirko will not face discipline

Čižnár confirmed that the prosecution was checking on the information that prosecutor of the Special Prosecutor’s Office, Vasil Špirko, reported to the media yesterday and based on which he filed a criminal complaint against the Interior Minister and some top police officials.

Read also: Read also:Prosecutor accuses the interior minister of corruption scheme

“The problem was the way he got the information, he violated a number of provisions,” Čižnár said, and asked why Špirko came forward with his testimony now.

When asked whether Špirko will face disciplinary proceeding for his act, Čižnár said:

“If I hit him for this, I would be the first one to hang.”

Top stories

Thousands of people returned to the streets Photo

Though the main Bratislava protest was cancelled, people attended other gatherings, expressing their disagreement with the current situation.

SNP Square in Bratislava, March 23

She faced Russian tanks in 1968. Today, she protests again Photo

There are no tanks pointing at us today, says Mária Homolková, who joined protests in SNP Square once again in March 2018 to secure a better life for her grandchildren.

Kiska appoints Pellegrini cabinet

The president approved the new government, despite some reservations. The new PM promises to investigate the murder of the journalist and his fiancée.

Peter Pellegrini's government

There is still work to be done

2018 is not a re-run of 1989, but there is a connection.

Bratislava, March 16