Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

General prosecutor sends draft agreement on creating joint investigative team to Italians

Any progress in the investigation of the double murder has not yet been disclosed.

General prosecutor Jaromír Čižnár (Source: SITA)

Following the earlier intensive communication with Italy’s judicial authorities, general prosecutor Jaromír Čižnár has sent them a draft agreement concerning the creation of a joint team for the investigation of the double murder of investigative journalist Ján Kuciak and his fiancée Martina Kušnírová. The Prosecutor General’s Office spokesperson, Andrea Predajňová, specified that the draft agreement was sent via Eurojust on Friday, March 16.

“The Prosecutor General’s Office expects that the joint investigation team will provide a faster and more complex and operative investigation of this concrete criminal deed,” said Predajňová, as cited by the SITA newswire.

Earlier on Monday, Čižnár discussed setting up the joint investigation team with outgoing Justice Minister Lucia Žitňanská (Most-Híd). In practice, creating a joint investigation team and signing an agreement in this regard is time-consuming, as it can usually take several weeks or even months.

“General prosecutor Jaromír Čižnár, in cooperation with Eurojust, has done his best to smooth the way for the assembly and operation of the joint investigation team as soon as possible and to allow foreign judicial authorities to join the ongoing criminal investigation into the murders of Ján Kuciak and his fiancée,” said Predajňová, adding that Italian judicial bodies are currently evaluating the draft agreement.

If the Italian side responds positively to the draft agreement, both sides will hold talks on the details regarding the joint investigation team, such as specifying the joint investigation’s framework, the rights and duties of the joint team members, the duration of the team’s operation as well as the participation of international institutions, including Eurojust and Europol.

Predajňová added that the General Prosecutor’s Office will “keep the public informed about the course and outcomes of the talks with the Italian bodies”.

Investigative journalist Ján Kuciak and his fianceé Martina Kušnírová were shot dead in their family house in early March by a currently unknown culprit or culprits. For now, any progress in the investigation of the double murder has not been disclosed.

Read also:General Prosecutor: No progress in murder investigation

It is assumed that Kuciak’s work uncovering the operation of the Italian mafia in eastern Slovakia and its possible connection to top politicians might have been behind the murder.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

We want a decent Slovakia, people chanted in squares

On the eve of the Velvet Revolution anniversary, people protested in the thousands, calling for a decent Slovakia.

Bratislava protest November 16, 2018

What we didn't know about our freedom

In 1989, we thought that once the job was done, we would only go out to the squares for Sunday walks.

November 1989 in Bratislava

Bratislava gets a taste of international poetry Video

The international poetry festival Ars Poetica will host poetry readings and other performances at various sites in the city.

Camilla Nelson

Spectacular Slovakia #11: What does a city boy from Brooklyn like about Slovakia? Audio

Dave Rubin came to Slovakia ten years ago and has lived in Bratislava ever since.

Pajštún