The opposition proposes early elections

The MPs point to the fundamental changes the parliament has undergone since March 2016.

Illustrative stock photoIllustrative stock photo (Source: SME)

The early parliamentary election should take place on September 8, 2018. This is the date proposed by opposition parties Freedom and Solidarity (SaS), the Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO) and We Are Family, whose representatives submitted to the parliament a draft constitutional law on shorting the election tenure.

To adopt the draft, it is necessary to win the support of at least 90 MPs, the TASR newswire reported.

The early elections will be discussed at the special session. According to the parliament’s rules of procedure, the proposal that is to be negotiated in parliament should be submitted at least 15 days before such a session. This means that the signatures for this purpose need to be filed next week, while Speaker of Parliament Andrej Danko (the Slovak National Party) will have another seven days to summon the session, TASR wrote.

Parliament underwent significant changes

The opposition stressed in its proposal that since the 2016 general election, the distribution of the political powers in the parliament has changed significantly.

Read also:President will not appoint Pellegrini cabinet as proposed Read more 

“Eight political parties made it to the parliament, creating eight caucuses,” the opposition said, as quoted by TASR. “However, in the first days significant moves between the caucuses occurred, and later the caucus of one coalition party disappeared. Currently, there are 15 non-affiliated MPs, which is 10 percent of their total number.”

Moreover, the government relies on a vague and fragile, non-representative majority.

“This proves that the current composition of the parliament is not a result of people’s wills, not even that from 2016,” the opposition added.

They also pointed to the gatherings organised in March 2018, showing their disagreement with the current government. Moreover, the situation became more serious after the current cabinet resigned last week.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Theme: Vražda novinára Jána Kuciaka

Read more articles by the topic
This article is also related to other trending topics
Ján Kuciak

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak