Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Oncology patients still wait too long, even after head resigns

The reason for the long-term lack of beds and postponed surgeries is mostly missing medical staff.

The National Oncology Institute, stock photo.(Source: TASR)

Patients in the National Oncology Institute (NOÚ) in Bratislava still wait longer for surgeries, the Sme daily writes on April 18. The facility, unique in Slovakia, allegedly lacks medical staff, especially nurses.

Not even the resignation of the Institute’s head, MP for the ruling Smer party, Jozef Valocký, has improved the situation. Valocký leaves NOÚ as of April 30, and he announced it at the beginning of the month.

What is behind the situation?

The worst-hit wards are anaesthesiology and intensive medicine, which needed space for seven patients on April 16 but only had a bed for one. A doctor who wished to remain anonymous told Sme that one of the patients came to him crying, saying that she can already feel the tumour – after weeks of her surgery being postponed. However, the acute and intensive medicine ward has no free bed: instead of the seven needed beds, it just has a single spot for an oncology patient. The doctor opined that the biggest reason behind this lamentable situation is the lack of staff, especially nurses. Last year alone, 15 doctors and 25 nurses left the Institute, according to the doctor. Unlike doctors, the nurses have not been replaced.

Thus, the waiting periods were extended from four (or six, at the most) to seven weeks.

After Sme sent questions to the NOÚ, the management started investigating who among employees leaked the problem to media, instead of trying to solve the dire situation.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Topic: Health care


Top stories

The Financial Administration’s head resigns from post

František Imrecze says his decision was spontaneous.

František Imrecze

People will gather to support imprisoned Ukrainian filmmaker

The open letter in support of Sentsov has been signed by more than 2,800 people.

People hold posters to support Ukrainian filmmaker Oleg Sentsov, who is currently on hunger strike in a Russian jail to demand the release of the other Ukrainian hostages taken by the Kremlin, in front of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Kiev on August 21, 2018.

Institutions can be quickly destroyed, but they are hard to build

Head of the To Dá Rozum intiative, Renáta Hall, talks about the impacts of a dispute between the academy of sciences and the Education Ministry.

Renáta Hall

Man from Russian sanction list trained president’s and PM’s bodyguards

Denis Riauzov is on the sanctions list and the secret services believe he is a Russian agent.