Kežmarský Castle is the only completely preserved castle in the Spiš region. The first written mention is from 1463. The brothers Imrich and Štefan Zápoľský were the constructers and the first owners of the castle, the website of the town of Kežmarok states.
The first attempts to reconstruct the castle and open a museum inside arose in the second half of the 19th century. But this idea was carried out in the first half of the 20th century. The first exhibition opened in 1931.
Today visitors may learn about the history of Kežmarok at the castle. The exhibitions concern the prehistoric and Middle Age settlement of Kežmarok, the development of the town in the 13th to 19th centuries, the Shooting Society of Kežmarok, the Society of Spiš Doctors and Chemists, Doctor Vojtech Alexander, founder of roentgenology in the Hungarian empire, history of Kežmarok in the 19th and 20th centuries, historical portraits and Jewish community in Kežmarok.
The visiting of the castle is connected with visiting the castle chapel and lookout tower.