Abduction of president's son goes to Luxembourg

The Mečiar amnesties were scrapped two years ago, the accused still haven't faced court.

Former SIS director Ivan LexaFormer SIS director Ivan Lexa(Source: Sme archive)

One of the most controversial cases Slovakia has dealt with since it occurred in 1993 will be reviewed in Luxembourg.

The court trial with the people who stand accused of kidnapping the son of then President Michal Kováč will not begin in Slovakia before the Court of Justice of the EU handles the pre-trial questions. The senate of the Bratislava III District Court ruled on June 21, 2019 on the suspension of the proceedings and to wait for Luxembourg based on a request by the lawyers of Ivan Lexa, the Sme daily reported. Lexa, former director of the intelligence service SIS, is one of the accused in the case.

The abduction took place in 1995, and later Vladimír Mečiar issued blanket amnesties that prevented prosecution in the case. After numerous attempts, the Slovak parliament scrapped the amnesties in April 2017.

The file is about 20,000 pages long, according to Sme, and there are 13 accused in the case.

The Luxembourg court might issue a stance on the case instructing the Slovak courts whether they can proceed. Once such stance might be that the deeds were amnestied in Slovakia in the past and therefore there can be no prosecution now.

One more controversial case from the Mečiar era is also awaiting a stance from Luxembourg. Former interior minister Gustav Krajči stands accused of having marred a referendum in 1997. The Slovak courts were to deal with the case in 2018, but Krajči requested a stance from the Court of Justice of the EU, which has not been delivered yet.

"We are waiting for the motion to be accepted for further proceedings. Then, every member state will have to learn about the case and only then would they decide ," Krajči's lawyer Milan Križalkovič told Sme. If the Luxembourg court refuses to deal with the case, the Slovak courts will be able to take it up again.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Triple coalition PS/Spolu/Za Ľudí? Not for now

Kiska said no, but there are talks about a broader pre-election coalition across opposition parties.

Left to right: Igor Matovič (OĽaNO), Ondrej Dostál (OKS), Richard Sulík (SaS), Miroslav Beblavý (Spolu), Michal Truban (PS), Andrej Kiska (Za Ľudí), Alojz Hlina (KDH)

Judge steps down for exchanging messages with Kočner

Several people have resigned after appearing in the Threema communication so far.

David Lindtner

Prosecutor brings charges against Kočner in the Kuciak murder case

Apart from Kočner, three other people were formally charged.

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were commemorated in Bratislava on August 26.

Blog: AI and Slovakia: Labor costs to become less important

Which policy challenges and risks will AI bring to converging economies, such as Slovakia? Vladimir Zlacký, Founder of LookingEast.eu, offers an interesting answer.