Official from the Vietnamese abduction scandal left the Interior Ministry

Peter Krajčírovič headed the Office for the Protection of Constitutional Officials when a Vietnamese citizen was abducted.

Interior Minister Denisa Saková (left) and Radoslav Štrba, acting Head of the Office for the Protection of Constitutional Officials, speak to journalists. Interior Minister Denisa Saková (left) and Radoslav Štrba, acting Head of the Office for the Protection of Constitutional Officials, speak to journalists. (Source: Sme)

Head of Close Protection Officers, Peter Krajčírovič, no longer works at the Interior Ministry. He left the Office for the Protection of Constitutional Officials in late August, as reported by the Sme daily.

The Interior Ministry confirmed his departure to Sme and specified that he had left upon his own request.

Read alsoAbduction: President says he does not trust the interior minister Read more 

Krajčírovič became prominent last August when the scandal around the abduction of Vietnamese citizen Trinh Xuan Thanh surfaced. The incident had already occurred in July 2017 when Krajčírovič headed the Office for the Protection of Constitutional Officials.

It was only after news of the case broke out in early August 2018 that Krajčírovič had to leave his post and became the head of Close Protection Officers Unit, which however falls under the Office for the Protection of Constitutional Officials.

Slovak officers allegedly involved

Officers under Krajčírovič allegedly took part in the transport of the abducted Vietnamese citizen, using the Slovak government plane, from Bratislava to Russia. The Denník N daily was the first to report this information.

“Kali [ex-interior minister Robert Kaliňák] knows about it. It is in the state's interest,” close protection officers reportedly said to one another during the abduction, as quoted by Sme.

Read alsoAbduction: Kaliňák says he is ready to take a polygraph test Read more 

The case is still under investigation; the Inspectorate under the Interior Ministry is cooperating with German investigators on the case.

Moreover, Kaliňák (Smer) was heard on the case in mid-August again, Sme wrote. He refuted that Slovakia would have partaken in the abduction.

“I repeated what I said six months ago, and nothing has changed,” he said, as quoted by Sme.

Krajčírovič as a bully

Some officers serving under Krajčírovič said he was an official whose behaviour could be described as bullying and his methods during the training seemed to be sadistic, Sme wrote.

In a video published by the private channel TV JOJ, Krajčírovič also criticised police officers of not being fit enough to protect constitutional officials.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Theme: Robert Kaliňák

Read more articles by the topic

Top stories

Foreign students are coming. Tests and isolation planned for those from risky countries

Academic year to start at Slovakia's universities in September. Universities are ready to be flexible and make changes if the coronavirus situation requires it.

Illustrative stock photo

News digest: New coronavirus outbreak in southern Slovakia

The overview of news from Slovakia on August 12, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič (r) and chief hygienist Ján Mikas (l) before August 12 cabinet session.

MFA continues inspecting the process of issuing visas after the scandal at a consulate in Russia

A non-constructive and regrettable step, the Russian Embassy commented.

Ivan Korčok (Foreign Affairs Minister) and PM Igor Matovič

Second coronavirus wave has already arrived in Slovakia

The pandemic commission has adopted a pandemic plan.

Health Minister Marek Krajčí (centre) at the August 11 meeting of the pandemic commission.