Only a few kilometres away from Banská Bystrica, above the village of Slovenská Ľupča, stands Ľupčiansky castle, a national cultural monument.
In 1255, the castle was mentioned in conjunction with the letters patent for the town of Banská Bystrica, chartered by Béla IV. It is therefore assumed that the stone castle - tower was built in the first half of the 13th century, probably on the site of the original fort, informs the official website of the castle.
When the Arpad family died out with the passing of Andrew III of Hungary, the owners of the castle changed frequently. As a royal castle, it often fell victim to the conquests of noblemen who did not respect the royal sovereignty (Matthew III Csák), the website continues.
In the second half of the 14th century, the castle was frequently visited by Hungarian kings, Charles Robert of Anjou and his son Louis the Great, which can be proven by signed documents, the website wrote.
After the death of Sigismund of Luxemburg, Austrian Duke Albrecht was elected as the new ruler. His early death started a power struggle for dominance in Hungary. At this time Count Gregory of Korbava became castellan of the Ľupča castle. In June 1443, Hungary suffered a large earthquake, which destroyed the major part of the castle. It was repaired later on and probably expanded by Gregory of Korbava, the website reported.
Later, the castle was managed by the Banská Bystrica Chamber, and in 1572, it was taken by Paul Rubigall, who started its reconstruction. After his death in 1595, the castle became a residence of the Polish nobleman Gašpar Tríbel, the website stated.
17. Sep 2019 at 12:51 | Compiled by Spectator staff