Kuciak murder trial, page 4

(source: Sme)

Investigative reporter Ján Kuciak was killed in his house in Veľká Mača. His fiancée Martina Kušnírová was shot dead along with him. Very soon after their dead bodies were discovered on February 26, 2018, the police said that the murder was most likely linked to Kuciak’s journalistic work. Unlike most cases of murdered journalists in the world, the police detained and charged not just the persons whom they believe to have fired the shots, but also those who ordered the murder.

The trial with Marián Kočner, Alena Zsuzsová, Tomáš Szabó and Miroslav Marček started on January 13, 2020.

Zoltán Andruskó, who has admitted to having acted as the middleman between those who ordered the murder and those who executed it, was sentenced to 15 years in prison on December 30, 2019 in a separate proceeding, based on his plea bargain deal. He has thus become an important witness in the case against the four persons.

Hitman Miroslav Marček pleaded guilty on the first day of the trial. His case was then singled out for a separate trial. Marček was finally sentenced to 25 years in prison in December 2020.

On September 3, 2020, the senate of the Specialised Criminal Court delivered its verdict in the case. Szabó has been found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in a maximum-security prison. Marian Kočner and Alena Zsuzsová were acquitted of charges related to the murders.

Alena Zsuzsová

Kuciak murder trial: What has happened so far

An overview of how the trial in the murder case has progressed.

Witness Peter Tóth was heard for eight hours on January 15, 2019, at the Specialised Criminal Court in Pezinok, western Slovakia.
Video

Kuciak murder trial: Tóth implicates Kočner and others

The former journalist-turned-spy Peter Tóth, who surveilled journalists for Kočner, testified on the third day.

Peter Toth as a witness in court on January 15, 2020.

From star journalist to Kočner's friend: Who is Peter Tóth?

The man who followed journalists for Kočner is a key witness in the Kuciak murder trial.

and 2 more
Zoltán Andruskó is escorted to the courtroom.
Video

Key witness linked Kočner to the murder

The key witness of the prosecution testified for over four hours on the second day of the trial.

Parents of Ján Kuciak

Kuciak's mother: He said he was doing it to make Slovakia better

Families of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová spoke in court on the second day of the trial.

Alena Zsuzsová

It was meant to end with a murder in any case, said the man who killed Kuciak

Zsuzsová and Kočner deny involvement in the murder of the journalist.

Marian Kočner is escorted to the courtroom.
Video

Man who shot Kuciak and Kušnírová: I am guilty

The trial has begun. Kočner and Zsuzsová plead not guilty to the murder.

Illustrative stock photo

How the Kuciak case changed Slovakia (overview)

The far-reaching consequences of the murder: What happened in Slovakia between February 2018 and now.

and 1 more
Zoltán Andruskó arrives to court

Kuciak murder trial: Middleman gets 15 years in prison

The Specialised Criminal Court approved his deal with prosecutor, Andruskó becomes a witness.

Still a brutal murder that shouldn't have happened

Let us think of the victims' families.

Kuciak murder trial: The indicted rejected a plea bargain

The main trial will start as early as January 13.

SkryťClose ad