The police in the Pakistani town of Gilgit announced on Monday, July 1 that it has detained two of 16 people suspected of attacking foreign mountain climbers at the country’s Nanga Parbat Mountain, on June 21-22.
The Pakistani news outlet The Express Tribune wrote that according to the Deputy Inspector General Police (DIG) Ali Sher, who is leading the investigation of the murder of the 10 tourists and their Pakistani guide, the police successfully raided a house in Chilas and arrested Shafi Muhammad who had been earlier identified.
“This evening we arrested one of the identified accused persons. It is a breakthrough as far as the arrest of the other accused is concerned”, said Sher. According to him, the accused was arrested at a house in Chilas with the help of intelligence reports, where he had been hiding for some days. Police officers said that the perpetrator belongs to the Diamer district and had been involved in “other such activities” as well.
The arrested have been taken into custody for further investigation. The identity of the second person is still unknown. Sher called the detention a breakthrough and expressed hope in catching the remaining perpetrators soon. The chief secretary and Inspector General Police (IGP) of Gilgit-Baltistan last week disclosed the names and identities of 16 people who were allegedly involved in the attack, the responsibility for which was claimed by the Pakistani branch of Taliban.
Two of the victims killed by Taliban militants in their base camp in northern Pakistan were Slovak mountaineers and mountain rescuers Anton Dobeš and Peter Šperka. The militants also killed one American with dual Chinese citizenship, three Ukrainians, two Chinese nationals, one Lithuanian, one Nepali and a Pakistani guide, the TASR newswire wrote.
(Source: Express Tribune, TASR)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.