Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Procházka becomes Sieť party head

THE COUNCIL of Sieť, the new and so far best-performing opposition party in the polls, officially elected party founder Radoslav Procházka as its first leader.

THE COUNCIL of Sieť, the new and so far best-performing opposition party in the polls, officially elected party founder Radoslav Procházka as its first leader.

With his vision of a simple and functional state, Procházka had no competitor for the position withint the party.

“Rado Procházka is the only candidate. It would be silly to propose someone else,” said the newly elected first deputy chairman of Sieť, Andrej Hrnčiar, as quoted by the Sme daily. “He created and founded Sieť and we are here to help him.”

To run its activities, Sieť took out a loan of €800,000 from Czech bank Fio.

In addition to Hrnčiar, who also serves as mayor of the town of Martin, the council elected former Slovak Democratic and Christian Union (SDKÚ) MP Miroslav Beblavý, Prievidza mayor (Trenčín Region) Katarína Macháčková, vice-dean of the Faculty of International Relations of the University of Economics in Bratislava Katarína Csefalvayová and former head of Eastern-Slovak Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases in Košice Eduard Adamčík, Sme reported.

During the event, Procházka apologised for the issues that arose around the funding of his presidential campaign. He referred to a recording published anonymously on the internet that pertained to earlier claims by Igor Matovič, the leader of the opposition Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO), that Procházka attempted to purchase advertising for his presidential campaign from Matovič’s family-owned company off the books.

Procházka told Sieť members that he is sorry and wants to separate his presidential campaign from the party.

“I’ve already apologised to the public; now, I want to apologise to you all,” Procházka said, as quoted by Sme. “To apologise that I gave the ruling party and its double agents an excuse for a frontal attack. It’s my fault.”

(Source: Sme)

Compiled by Roman Cuprik from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

He survived the Paris attacks: Slovakia healed me, he says

I stepped back into life and learned to live again here. I don’t think I could have done it in Paris, says Thomas Tran Dinh.

I found people in Slovakia who try to understand and balance things, says Thomas Tran Dinh.

What does this man know?

Prosecutor searches for witness in the case of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová’s murder.

Identikit picture of possible witness in Kuciak murder case.

I am not afraid, I do not work like Kuciak

Sometimes trolls burst into our office and shout at us until we convince them to leave, but they never sue us, says David Crawford from the newsgroup Correctiv who were the first to discover who downed MH17 flight.

David Crewford

Foreigners: Top 10 events in Bratislava Video

Tips for the top 10 events in the capital between September 21 and September 30, plus regular services in different languages, training, temporary exhibitions and highlights of the year.

Kapitulská