Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Inspection sees no violence against Roma

Investigator stops prosecution of police officers in all cases.

(Source: Sme)

Torture, illegal entry into homes and inappropriate coercion did not happen during the police raid in the Roma settlement in Moldava nad Bodvou in June 2013, according to inspectors of the Interior Ministry.

At the time. the Police were purportedly seeking seven men with outstanding warrants. They did not find any of those men but according to eyewitnesses, violence ensued and 15 other Roma were taken to the police station. Several of the Roma were injured and at least one of them claims to have undergone two further severe beatings at the police station itself. A second man alleges he left the station bleeding from his rectum. 

The Sme daily has a resolution, according to which the investigator closed the prosecution of police officers in relation to two of six charges. As he had already cancelled the criminal prosecution in relation to the remaining four charges in November 2015, this meant that the investigation was concluded and that the police officers will not be punished for the raid.

“We are sad because of it, all think we are liars,” one of the beaten Roma, Milan Hudák told the daily. “People already do not trust police at all.”

Prečítajte si tiež: Prečítajte si tiež:Police raid in Moldava alright, prosecutor says

It would be the first time that the authorities said that people's basic human rights were not violated and that the European Court of Human Rights saw it differently, according to Ombudswoman Jana Dubovcová.

Apart from Dubovcová, legal representatives of the aggrieved Roma and international organizations have also complained about the investigation. They pointed out that the police officers were investigated by inspectors of the Interior Ministry, i.e. their own colleagues.

Moreover, it took six months until the prosecutor started the criminal prosecution and the following questioning and collecting of evidence lasted for a further year and a half. For the traumatized people it was difficult to recall details of the raid.

Prečítajte si tiež: Prečítajte si tiež:Investigation found no torture in infamous police raid

Those claims are not based on truth  because right after the police raid people filed five related criminal complaints which inspectors rejected refused before the criminal prosecution of police officers started, according to Prešov Regional Prosecutor Office spokesperson Marián Spišák.

Topic: Roma community


Top stories

EU roaming fees to end on June 15 – in theory

Slovak customers still waiting to find out how mobile operators will implement change.

Archaeologist pieces together early history of what is now western Slovakia Photo

For an archaeologist, the most important thing is his most recent rare discovery, says Július Vavák.

Students visited Svätý Jur as part of their European Wanderer project

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.

General Prosecutor filed a motion for the dissolution of ĽSNS

The Slovak Supreme Court received a motion to dissolve the extreme right ĽSNS party founded and led by Marian Kotleba.

Jaromír Čižnár