Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Third block of NUKE Mochovce closer to completion

The bill for completion of the third and fourth blocks of the nuclear power station may still not be final.

(Source: Jana Liptáková)

The dominant energy generator Slovenské Elektrárne (SE) is advancing in completion of the third and fourth units of the nuclear power station in Mochovce in southern Slovakia. In late June it announced completion of construction works at the third unit to be followed by tests.  

“We are very pleased to announce the successful completion of assembly of the internal elements of unit 3’s reactor, which is the heart of a power plant,” said Nicola Cotugno, Chairman of the Board of Directors and General Director of SE on June 24. “This is one of the most important milestones achieved in the first half of this year, marking the completion of construction works of unit 3 which now enters the testing phase.”

Cotugno reiterated SE’s strong commitment to complete the second two blocks of the nuclear power station in Mochovce despite low electricity prices. The third unit is more than 92.5 percent complete, while the fourth unit is almost 75 percent.

“This project will become a pillar for Slovakia’s energy sector for several generations,” said Cotugno, adding that the new units should generate electricity for 60 years.

After the control assembly the third reactor is ready for primary circuit testing. Afterwards, the reactor will be prepared for so-called cold and hot hydrostatic tests during which reactor and primary circuit equipment will be tested as well as leak-tightness checked, among others. In this phase, activity of the reactor equipment will be tested in non-active conditions, i.e. without nuclear fuel. This will be supplied only in 2017.

SE plans to phase in the third unit in 2017 and the fourth one in 2018. Each unit will have 471 MWe output covering 13 percent of Slovakia’s total electricity consumption.

Timetable and budget re-assessed  

The budget for completion of the third and fourth units in Mochovce has already increased from €2.8 billion to €4.6 billion, but may not be final. Shareholders of SE, the Italian energy group Enel holding 66 percent and the Slovak government holding the remaining 34 percent have launched an expert commission to assess the timetable and the budget, while its assessment is expected in the coming weeks.

The Hospodárske Noviny economic daily has already indicated that the budget might be increased by €0.5 billion to €5.1 billion.

SE has been financing the project from its dividends and without any financial support from the side of the state. It lists changes made in the project after the Fukushima disaster improving the design of the power plant among reasons for additional costs and postponement of its completion.

“The main aim is quality, reliability and safety of the power plant during its 60-year operation,” said Cotugno.

Italian Enel holds 66 percent in SE while it has already agreed with the Czech company Energetický a Průmyslový holding’s (EPH) about its sale.

Topic: Energy


Top stories

EU roaming fees to end on June 15 – in theory

Slovak customers still waiting to find out how mobile operators will implement change.

Archaeologist pieces together early history of what is now western Slovakia Photo

For an archaeologist, the most important thing is his most recent rare discovery, says Július Vavák.

Students visited Svätý Jur as part of their European Wanderer project

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.

General Prosecutor filed a motion for the dissolution of ĽSNS

The Slovak Supreme Court received a motion to dissolve the extreme right ĽSNS party founded and led by Marian Kotleba.

Jaromír Čižnár