Former economy minister and former CEO of the private TV channel Markíza, Pavol Rusko, who is being investigated for ordering the murder of his former business associate Sylvia Volzová, was released from custody at the ruling of the Bratislava Regional Court on November 21.
By doing so, the regional court annulled a previous decision made by a district court, which last month placed Rusko in custody due to concerns that he could attempt to influence witnesses, the Sme daily wrote. He has to announce to the authorities his whereabouts and submit his passport within 24 hours of his release. He will be supervised by electronic locators, regional court spokesperson Pavol Adamčiak said.
Rusko was detained after former Banská Bystrica gang boss Mikuláš Černák, who is currently serving a life sentence, testified that the former had ordered Volzová’s murder. Rusko dismissed all of Černák’s accusations as a lie and fabrication.
“I have not done anything like that,” he said, as quoted by Sme. “Nothing of that kind has happened, and I believe that this investigation will not only answer the question that not only I have nothing to do with, now becoming even clearer, but especially who came up with this whole case.”