Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Italian entrepreneur Vadala reportedly detained due to drugs

The police arrested the businessman with alleged links to the Italian Mafia during a secret operation early on March 13.

Antonino Vadala(Source: Korzár)

The police detained Italian entrepreneur Antonino Vadala in Michalovce (Košice Region), in the early hours of March 13. The reason is the European arrest warrant issued by a Venice-based court, the Sme daily reported.

“With the European arrest warrant, the Italian court is demanding the extradition of Antonino Vadala for criminal prosecution in Italy for a drug crime committed by an international organised crime group,” said Andrea Predajňová, spokesperson for the General Prosecutor’s Office, as quoted by Sme.

Read also:Murder investigation: What we know so far and what are the main independence concerns

The operation was undercover to prevent any information leak that could have marred detention, she added.

The General Prosecutor’s Office will soon submit a proposal to take Vadala into custody to prevent him from escaping the country and prevent his extradition to Italy.

An international police operation

The detention was part of an international operation, in which Slovak and Italian police, the Venice-based branch of Italian multi-force agency dedicated to solving and preventing mafia-related crimes, DIA, the Slovak General Prosecutor’s Office and Eurojust took part.

Read also:UPDATED: Police detain Italian Vadala

Altogether 17 people were detained, of whom 11 are in custody and another 6 under house arrest, Sme reported.

Vadala is featured in the last story of murdered journalist Ján Kuciak. He does business mainly in agriculture and real estate. In the past he was involved in the business of solar power stations.

Kuciak mentioned him in connection with the Italian Mafia organisation Ndrangheta, claiming that in the past he allegedly hid a drug smuggler who later became a murderer.

Vadala also has connections to state advisor Mária Trošková and son of the Security Council secretary, Viliam Jasaň, who both have temporarily left their positions until Kuciak’s murder is investigated, Sme wrote.

Top stories

Thousands of people returned to the streets Photo

Though the main Bratislava protest was cancelled, people attended other gatherings, expressing their disagreement with the current situation.

SNP Square in Bratislava, March 23

She faced Russian tanks in 1968. Today, she protests again Photo

There are no tanks pointing at us today, says Mária Homolková, who joined protests in SNP Square once again in March 2018 to secure a better life for her grandchildren.

Kiska appoints Pellegrini cabinet

The president approved the new government, despite some reservations. The new PM promises to investigate the murder of the journalist and his fiancée.

Peter Pellegrini's government

There is still work to be done

2018 is not a re-run of 1989, but there is a connection.

Bratislava, March 16