HB Reavis has begun to dismantle Bratislava’s Apollo Business Centre

The building was closed in 2015 due to fear of collapse.

The Apollo I building was closed in 2015 due to fear of collapse.The Apollo I building was closed in 2015 due to fear of collapse. (Source: Sme)

The deconstruction of the Apollo Business Centre I building, situated in the Bratislava's Ružinov borough, has started. It should be completed sometime next year, the SITA newswire reported.

Apollo Business Centre I was opened in 2005, but its tenants began to leave the building en masse in 2015 as static reports suggested the construction could collapse. The building has been closed since then, as the decision to demolish it had already been made in 2016.

The HB Reavis developer, which is behind Apollo Business Centre I, wants to build a brand new eight-floor construction after the dismantlement works are done, the Sme daily reported.

Related articleNew Apollo to replace flawed Apollo Business Centre Read more 

The current structure stands near Mlynské Nivy Street, where several developer projects are under construction, including a new bus station, as well as the Nivy Tower and Sky Park high-rise buildings.

Apollo I materials to be recycled

The company, which is deconstructing the static-disrupted construction, is trying to recycle as many materials as possible.

“Within the recycling, several things have found their new use in the Cvernovka civic association, to whom we gave doors, door frames, and cabinets,” HB Reavis Country Marketing & PR Manager Martina Jamrichová said, as quoted by SITA.

The company will also recycle metals, concrete, copper, steel structures, glass, stone paving, and different technological equipment, she added.

The interior site clearance should come to its end this year.

No explosives

“Part of the deconstruction permit states the building will be dismantled without the use of explosives,” Ružinov spokesperson Tatiana Tóthová said, as quoted by SITA.

The whole deconstruction process, which creates a lot of noise, dust, and vibration, should thus not affect people living near Apollo Business Centre I.

HB Reavis Slovakia has pledged to inform citizens on its further steps, SITA wrote.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Theme: Bratislava

Read more articles by the topic

Top stories

Foreign students are coming. Tests and isolation planned for those from risky countries

Academic year to start at Slovakia's universities in September. Universities are ready to be flexible and make changes if the coronavirus situation requires it.

Illustrative stock photo

News digest: New coronavirus outbreak in southern Slovakia

The overview of news from Slovakia on August 12, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič (r) and chief hygienist Ján Mikas (l) before August 12 cabinet session.

MFA continues inspecting the process of issuing visas after the scandal at a consulate in Russia

A non-constructive and regrettable step, the Russian Embassy commented.

Ivan Korčok (Foreign Affairs Minister) and PM Igor Matovič

Second coronavirus wave has already arrived in Slovakia

The pandemic commission has adopted a pandemic plan.

Health Minister Marek Krajčí (centre) at the August 11 meeting of the pandemic commission.