Learn more about interesting places in Slovakia with our Slovakia travel guide.
Several thousands of cherry trees in blossom in the village of Brdárka (Rožňava district) lured hundreds of visitors to the area this spring, confirmed mayor Jaroslav Hric Jančo.
“Every year, during the last two weeks cherry trees are in blossom, 700 to 800 people come here,” the mayor said, as quoted by the TASR newswire. He added that crowds usually come on weekends, when up to 50 cars are parked in the village.
Data of the local citizen association Alter Nativa, which dedicates its time to mapping and researching cherry trees in the village, said that Brdárka may contain 3,000 to 4,000 cherry trees.
“In cooperation with the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra, we successfully identified many species,” the association said for TASR. “The most precious ones we try to graft and keep for the next generations.”
Brdárka is located in a "sunny trap" under the peak Radzim, the association noted. The peak's relatively small altitude of 555 metres creates the perfect growing conditions for cherry trees.
In the Gemer region, fruit-growing expanded at the beginning of the 18th century, and orchards in Brdárka belonged among the biggest in the region.
Spectacular Slovakia travel guides
- A helping hand in the heart of Europe thanks to the Slovakia travel guide.
- Detailed travel guide to the Tatras introduces you to the whole region around the Tatra mountains, including attractions on the Polish side.
- Lost in Bratislava? Impossible with our City Guide!
- See some selected travel articles, podcasts, traveller's needs as well as other guides dedicated to Nitra, Trenčín Region, Trnava Region and Žilina Region.
4. May 2020 at 12:57 | Compiled by Spectator staff