Slovakia’s National Crime Agency (NAKA), which has been at the forefront of investigating high-profile crimes such as corruption and terrorism, is set to be dismantled by the end of August.
This was first reported by Juraj Šeliga, a politician from the non-parliamentary party Demokrati.
Starting in September, NAKA is said to be replaced by the Office for the Fight Against Organised Crime (ÚBOK), which should now include a Counter-Corruption Unit, a Criminal Investigation Unit, a Financial Police Unit, and a Financial Investigation and Analytical Unit. A new National Anti-Drug Unit is also said to be established, while investigations into extremism should be transferred to regional police authorities.
Šeliga noted, “Effectively, the responsibilities handled by NAKA will now be divided among three separate organisations.”
ÚBOK to return
ÚBOK, which existed before NAKA’s formation in 2012, should thus oversee a broader scope of crime prevention as of September. The merger of ÚBOK with the Office for the Fight Against Corruption in 2012 led to the creation of NAKA. At that time, Smer was in power.
Additionally, a new entity within the police corps is believed to replace the current National Central Unit for Special Types of Crime (NCODK), which handles environmental crimes, financial investigations, and cyber crime. The fate of this unit is uncertain, particularly as it relies on European Union funds from the recovery plan, which may impose conditions on its restructuring, writes the news website Aktuality.sk.
It remains unclear whether the European Commission is currently okay with the proposed reorganisation of key Slovak police agencies. It raised concerns in June.
Currently, over 1,000 police officers work in NAKA and NCODK. With anticipated cuts, up to 700 top police officers may be reassigned to lower police units in regions and towns. This comes at a time when Slovakia faces a potential mass exodus of police personnel, with up to 5,000 officers eligible for retirement this year out of a total force of approximately 20,000.
Interior minister on NAKA
Earlier this year, Interior Minister Matúš Šutaj Eštok (Hlas) indicated that NAKA, in its current form, would not survive. He emphasised that the future of NAKA hinged on the fate of the Special Prosecutor’s Office, which oversaw NAKA’s investigations. The Special Prosecutor’s Office was dissolved in March following the ruling coalition’s decision.
Šutaj Eštok had previously criticised NAKA as being bloated and in need of reform, hinting that a complete dissolution was a possibility.
Meanwhile, a group of NAKA investigators associated with investigator Ján Čurilla, who have been probing corruption cases involving figures associated with the ruling coalition, including the Smer party, are facing unjustified charges over abuse of power. They are currently suspended from work and must remain at home during working hours.
Last week, 23 investigators from the National Crime Agency rallied in defence of their accused colleagues. The police have not disputed reports that these 23 investigators are now slated for reassignment to lower-tier police departments. Šeliga has condemned the move, characterising it as a retaliatory action by the ruling coalition.
Environmental Police chief to leave
Television network Markíza reported on Wednesday that Mário Kern, the head of the Environmental Police, will step down at the end of this month.
The police told Markíza, “The executive you mentioned has not been dismissed, as suggested, but is leaving at his own request. There will be no immediate changes; the Environmental Police will continue to operate as usual.”
Kern has led the agency since its establishment in 2019.