Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Archaeologists find gateway from 13th century in Vinné

Despite the small area of the castle, it used to have two gateways.

(Source: Roman Hanc, TASR)

A new discovery for archaeologists researching Viniansky castle in the Michalovce region, is a gateway dating from the 13th century. According to experts it is in very good condition.

The uncovering of the gateway is surprising, according to Jaroslav Gorás, the head of the citizens’ association Zemplínsko-užská hradná cesta (Zemplínsko-užská castle road).

“When we started our research six years ago, we had no gateway, now we have two of them,” Gorás explained for the TASR newswire.

The new discovery functioned not only as the main entrance to the castle but it also gave protection to the land-owners and the castle garrison.

It originated during the oldest phase of the castle's construction – the second half of the 13th century.

“We know this thanks to the well-preserved beams used in the construction of the tower that was built at the same time as the gateway. It is well-preserved over the whole of its height, however, we have only uncovered the upper part so far,” said Peter Bednár, a scientific worker at the archaeological institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, for TASR.

He added that gateways in such a good condition are not often found because they had to be rebuilt.

“This one has the advantage that it lost its function in the 15th century,” Bednár mentioned for TASR. The interesting thing is, according to his own words, that despite the small area of the castle, it has two gateways.

“It was a big investment, moreover, every extra opening in a castle wall was harder to keep from enemies, so it complicated the defence,” said Bednár as quoted by TASR. The reason why the castle should have two gates only 30 metres apart remains a mystery to which archaeologists will try to find an answer. They will continue their research next season.

The oldest period drawing of Viniansky castle originated in 1860, about 150 years after the castle fell into disuse.

“So in the picture, it is already a ruin,” said Gorás for TASR, adding that every discovery helps complete a vision of its former appearance from the era of its heyday.

The works at the castle have been ongoing since 2012. In future, parts of castle will be open to the public.

Topic: Tourism and travel in Slovakia


Top stories

Gilden: Take the negative and make a positive from it Photo

The works of New York native, photographer Bruce Gilden, who has worked for five decades in the streets of the biggest cities, are on exhibit in the Kunsthalle (House of Arts) in Bratislava.

Bruce Gilden: Feast of San Gennero, Little Italy, 1984.

The ongoing struggle for a free and democratic Slovakia

The people of Slovakia deserve the credit for the remarkable progress that this country has made over the past twenty-five years, US ambassador writes.

Illustrative stock photo

Foreigners: Top 10 events in Bratislava Video

Tips for the top 10 events in the capital between November 24 and December 3, plus regular services in different languages, training, temporary exhibitions and highlights of the year.

Christmas Markets Bratislava

Robert Fico has lost the electoral magic he once had Plus

But his party can still bounce back if they do the things that make parties resilient.

Robert Fico claims that Smer won the regional elections because it is the party with the most chairs in regional councils.