There are eight self-governing regions in Slovakia deciding how to spend €1.5 billion per year which is more than the budget of the education or health care ministries. Regional governors and more than 400 regional MPs decide how to spend this money based on a wide portfolio of activities.Read more
Here is the list of the competences of the self-governing regions:
· Create and run secondary schools, control their activities and finances, choose their directors, provide them with funds.
· Create, run or sell hospitals and social service centres. Provide services to vulnerable groups of people such as children, abused women, disabled people etc.
· Create and run museums, libraries and other cultural facilities. Also, organise cultural events.
· Provide various public or community services.
· Organize, support and coordinate sporting events targeting the public, students or professional athletes.
· Manage II. and III. class roads and cycling routes.
· Contribute to the development and marketing of tourism. Unite local tourist organisations and organise tourist events such as info tours or road shows.
· Regulate prices and discounts for suburban and bus public transportation.
· Use EU funds for regional development.
· Distribute subsidies for various projects.Read more
23. Oct 2017 at 22:16 | Roman Cuprik