The YouTube Kids app is now available in Slovakia. It not only enables access to a unique content focused on teaching and entertainment, but allows them to search for videos in a safe environment. At the same time, parents can check which videos and channels their children can watch.
The app is available for download for both the Android and iOS systems.
Control over searched content
Thanks to the app, parents can now control which videos and channels will be available for their children, to avoid inappropriate content.
“The app was designed with regard to the children's audience, which corresponds with its easy and intuitive user interface,” reads the press report.
The content is divided in four categories: Broadcast, Music, Learning, and Explore.
If children cannot read and write, they can search for the content with their voice.
At the same time, parents can use Timer, which will automatically block access to the content after a certain time expires.
It is possible to set eight various children profiles, while parents can also choose which types of videos their children can search for. There are other tools for parent control, designed for both younger and older children.
“The YouTube Kids app is only one of the tools thanks to which Google helps families set rules in the digital world,” reads the press release.
Another function is Family Link, which enables parents to learn how much time their children spend using digital devices and on which apps.
Basic YouTube Kids apps
- Children profiles: it is possible to create up to eight profiles, children setting their own preferences for videos, recommended videos and settings;
- YouTube channel collections: the selection of channel collections with various topics from trustworthy partners and the YouTube Kids team;
- Content approved by parents: enables parents to check what their children are watching, from videos through channels to channel collections;
- Blocking: enables blocking or erasing videos they do not want their children to watch;
- Reporting videos: enables to report a video that should be removed from the app;
- Searching under control: enables to switch on/off the search tool in every profile. With searching switched on, it is easier for children to access content, while when the search is off, the search is limited to the video content approved by the YouTube Kids team;
- Timer: enables to set a time limit during which children can use the app.
28. Feb 2019 at 13:57 | Compiled by Spectator staff