Slovakia will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the tragic death of General Milan Rastislav Štefánik on May 4.Read also:Read more
A rich programme has been prepared to remember one of the founders of Czechoslovakia. The main events will take place at Brezová pod Bradlom, where Štefánik is buried in a stone tomb at the top of Bradlo hill, and in Košariská (both in the Trenčín Region), where he was born.
“Shortly before noon, a torch-lit march from Košariská to Bradlo, symbolising his short life but also the cohesiveness and unity of the Slovak nation will take place,” said Barbora Palovičová, spokesperson for the Culture Ministry, as quoted by the TASR newswire.
Journey from ItalyRead also:Read more
There will also be a wreath laying ceremony at 13:00 on Bradlo, accompanied by an artillery salvo and military music performed by the Slovak armed forces, as well as an overflight of contemporary and historical aircraft.
On May 1, thirteen planes of the Slovak Federation of Ultralight Flying flew to the Italian airport of Campoformido, near Udine, from where Štefánik took off for the last time. On the way back, they will simulate his last flight.
They will return with one extra plane carrying an Italian general. They will also fly over Bradlo on May 4 and land at Piešťany airport, TASR wrote.
Štefánik’s legacy will also be rememberd by bonfires and singing. In Brezová pod Bradlom, before the ceremony, there will be a programme prepared by the Matica Slovenská national cultural institution held in the National House of Štefánik, as well as an exhibition dedicated to the him in the Museum of D.S. Jurkovič.Read also:Read more
In the National House, there will be also an exhibition of the parts of Štefánik’s plane, a Caproni Ca 33, in which he tragically died near Ivanka pri Dunaji.
“Also a presentation of M. R. Štefánik comics meant for younger spectators has been prepared,” Palovičová said, as quoted by TASR.
In the evening, there will be a music programme. At the railway station in Brezová pod Bradlom, the historical Legiovlak train from the years 1918-1920 will be exhibited over the whole day, she added.
How to get there?
- Non-scheduled ZSSK train will go to Brezová pod Bradlom from Bratislava. The train leaves at 6:45 from the main railway station in Bratislava, with stops at Bratislava-Vinohrady, Trnava, Jablonica, Hradište pod Vrátnom. It will arrive at Brezová pod Bradlom at 9:06. The train leaves Brezová pod Bradlom at 19:03, with the return to Bratislava scheduled for 21:24.
- Free shuttle bus will commute between train and bus stations to Bradlo in the morning and back in the afternoon.
- Those who come by car, must park at the carparks under Bradlo and use the bus to go up to the hill or go on foot.
[b]Other events to attend in Bratislava or nearby[/b]
- May 3, 19:00 – Wreath laying ceremony at the Monument of Milan Rastislav Štefánik near Eurovea in Bratislava
- May 4-5 – Festival of Aviation Piešťany 2019, Piešťany airport
2. May 2019 at 21:51 | Compiled by Spectator staff