Former PM Mečiar will not run in the 2020 elections

Vladimír Mečiar announced his political comeback late October.

Slovakia's former PM Vladimír Mečiar (right) will not run in the 2020 elections. In the picture, he sits next to former Supreme Court judge Štefan Harabin during a conference in September 2017 in BratislavaSlovakia's former PM Vladimír Mečiar (right) will not run in the 2020 elections. In the picture, he sits next to former Supreme Court judge Štefan Harabin during a conference in September 2017 in Bratislava(Source: TASR)

Former prime minister Vladimír Mečiar, who sat in a PM chair three times in the nineties, has changed his decision and will not run in the parliamentary elections next year, the SITA newswire reported.

Related articleMečiar is back, joining an existing party Read more 

Mečiar first said he was starting a political party in August this year. At the end of October he said he was going to run on Slovenská Liga's (Slovak League) slate. The party was founded by Mečiar's long-time colleague Tibor Cabaj.

However, the former PM withdrew his name at the last minute – on November 29 - when the party was to submit its list of candidates for the 2020 elections.

He is said to have retreated due to disagreements within the party on the manner of candidacy in elections.

Slovenská Liga is expected to dissolve following Mečiar's decision. Several people left the party after Mečiar quit.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Gas explosion in a block of flats, emergency situation in Prešov

Five victims and 40 injured reported so far but the numbers are not final.

Former president Kiska faces charges over KTAG case

Leader of Za Ludi charged one day after charges were brought against his main rival, Smer leader Robert Fico.

Andrej Kiska

UPDATED: Fico charged with defamation and inciting hatred

If found guilty, he may spend one to five years in prison.

Robert Fico

Abortion restrictions get red-light for now

Parliament rejected the SNS' draft amendment, the latest of a number of recent attempts to restrict access to abortion.

Illustrative stock photo